Friday, October 07, 2011

Leave Your Legacy: The Artist in You

Welcome a new Leave Your Legacy challenge!

If you're new to my blog, thanks for coming - I'm so glad you're here! You can learn more about my Leave Your Legacy challenge here.

Earlier this week, I pulled out some of my Donna Downey unfinished class projects (see more about this  here and here) and thought about working on them.

I say "thought about", because it's been so long since my last class with her that I almost forget all of the techniques that we learned! :(  Well, forget may be the wrong word - intimidated may be more appropriate. I have all of these supplies and I'm afraid of "messing things up" or having it turn out wrong...

I can almost hear what all of my mixed media artist friends are saying to me: "Turn out wrong?  In art? You IS crazy, girl!".  But the intimidation factor was still there.

Until a few days ago.

I came across a great quote and it reminded me of an important lesson:

"Every artist was first an amateur." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

And just like with Oprah's words, I knew that the best way to become a true artist was to forge ahead fearlessly and hone the craft through trial and error.  So I dug out a small 4"x4" canvas and began to experiment.

Without pause.  Without the fear of making a mistake and ruining my project.  With pure joy in my heart and paint on my hands.

And stinky gesso - but that's a story for another time!

So here's your challenge this week:
Using the above quote by Emerson, create a project or layout.  Remember that leaving your legacy doesn't just have to tell the story of your life in words, but it can be as simple as leaving a piece of art for future generations to share in your inspiration or muse.

Here's my project:


Supplies used:  Canvas Concepts canvas; Art Alternatives gesso; Golden gel medium; Golden, Making Memories and DecoArt paints; myStamp BOX stamps (Backgrounds, Colorful Companions, Seal It!); Stamp Craft and Staz On ink; 
Higgins India ink; Ranger glossy paper; Martha Stewart Crafts punch; Bazzill Basics cardstock; Sharpie paint pen; vintage book paper, music sheets, sewing patterns, tissue paper from my stash.

At first glance, I can see all of the "mistakes" - but then I realized that these mistakes pushed me to get creative!  Happy accidents, as I like to call them.  

Like the butterfly stamping on the right lower corner that didn't take because of the give of the stretched canvas on the frame: 



So I used it as a shadow for a cut-out butterfly stamped on glossy cardstock, adhered with a dimensional glue dot.

Or the original black handwritten text, that while passable in style, was lost on the dark painted background:


So I reached for my Sharpie paint pen... (Still not sure if that's a happy accident, because the paint pen tended to splatter when it hit a bump!)

I am in love with the how the paint job turned out though! :)


If you'd like to participate in this year long challenge, please share your layout below, using Linky Tools, by 11:59pm EST on December 31st, 2011. Please see the Leave Your Legacy page for guidelines, before linking here. Winners will be announced on January 1st, 2012.


1 comment:

Thank you for your comments - I appreciate the feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...